Latest Match Report from Burry Port RFC

Match Report Tumble 15 – 17 Burry Port.

In difficult conditions Burry Port RFC travelled to promotion rivals Tumble and returned with a hard-earned 15 – 17 victory.

Burry Port RFC

Early on in the game, Burry Port took the game to the hosts and, with encouraging forward play they dominated the opening exchanges. Confusion played a part in the first try as Tumble were awarded a penalty up field, which took the Blacks by surprise. With a late call from the ref, a quick tap penalty saw Hewitt stroll under the posts to make it 7 – 0.

Burry Port hit back quickly with a Ben Williams penalty after sustained pressure to make it 7 – 3. Strong running centre Duane Evans made good yards up-field and causing Tumble problems. Another Williams penalty was a good reward for their territorial dominance, making it 7 – 6.

Tumble, who are still in the Bowl competition, are a difficult team to beat and came back strongly. Burry Port open side flanker Tom Rees was on top form to thwart the home side with a fine display of tackling. A third penalty was slotted over by Williams who is having a fine season with the boot, to take the Blacks ahead 7 – 9. However disappointingly another lapse in concentration saw Tumble cross for an unconverted try right on half time to make it 12 – 9.

Burry Port RFC

The second half saw the Burry Port pack, who are developing a fearsome reputation this season, march up-field by employing the pick and go and driving maul and, with a creaking Tumble defence, the Blacks were unlucky not to go over for a try after a charge down kick. The pressure finally paid off when Ben Williams darted over for the Blacks to re-take the lead 12 – 14.

With conditions deteriorating, it was a credit to both teams who tried to play open, attractive rugby but it was Tumble who were next to score following good pressure when they were awarded a penalty to re-take the lead 15 – 14. The home team played a smart, territorial game and kept the Blacks under pressure. It took a huge defensive effort to repel many attacks close to the Burry Port line and a turn over helped clear the line and set up a thrilling finale.

Luke Rudall made a decisive break causing chaos in the Tumble ranks and went close to scoring and with the ref playing advantage for an infringement, skipper Dan Etteridge calmly slotted over a drop goal in the closing minutes for Burry Port to go 15 – 17 in the lead. Tumble were awarded a penalty on the last play and a long range effort went wide for the Blacks to win and do the double over their Gwendraeth valley promotion rivals.

Burry Port RFC

The win takes Burry Port up to 3rd place and with a few games in hand, it sets up a mouth-watering fixture on Saturday 30th January when current leaders Trimsaran take the short journey across Pembrey Mountain to the Memorial Park.

Coach Gareth Gravell was pleased with the effort in defence and the work rate of the team. “Two lapses of concentration in the first half almost cost us the game, but I cannot fault the effort of the team to claw back and take the lead in a game that could have gone either way. We will prepare well for the next challenge, a home game this Saturday against top placed Trimsaran.” With the Blacks still in the Bowl competition, and securing a home tie against Cowbridge and also going well in the league, Gareth and the boys are calling for a big crowd to cheer them on in the coming weeks.

There are no comments yet, add one below.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *