Burry Port RFC Seal Bowl Victory

Burry Port RFC Match Report – 30 October 2016

Burry Port RFC played hosts to St Clears RFC in the 3rd round of the WRU National Bowl, in what was a very thrilling match and saw the home team come from behind on the scoreboard to finish as winners, and progress to the next round.

The match started in a nervy manner with both teams looking to play some running rugby, but errors affected both teams in the early stages. This didn’t last too long however, and both teams settled down and started to look very comfy with the ball in hand, which in return made it a joy to watch.

The visitors were then determined to unsettle the home team, and eventually ended up getting the first score of the game. Some lovely handling out wide after a turnover saw them run in out wide, which was converted by their fly half to take the score to 0 – 7 to the visitors.

Burry Port RFC

About 10 minutes later, down the other end of the field, Burry Port had earned themselves a penalty, and opted to go for touch. The lineout then led to a catch and drive, and after some very impressive work from the home forwards, flanker Llyr Sims was able to bundle his way over out wide.

A couple of minutes later, the visitors got a penalty and kicked it to take the score at half time to 5 – 10.

After a stern talking to at half time, Burry Port came out in the second half a much more determined team, and this showed not long after as once again from a lineout, The home team used their powerful catch and drive to see hooker Iwan Roberts find his way to the try line. The try was successfully converted by scrum half Ben Williams.

Shortly after, the fitness of the youthful Burry Port pack turned into dominance in the loose and after some nice handling out wide, 2nd row Richard Parker cut through the defence to dive over for the teams 3rd try of the match. Ben Williams once again converted. Soon after, the scrum half was once again successful with the boot as he kicked a penalty for the team.

Burry Port then found themselves under pressure near their own try line, and were soon able to clear their lines thanks to the trusted boot of outside half Daniel Etteridge. St Clears took a quick throw in and looked to spread the ball wide and make a break for the home teams line, but a weak pass was intercepted by Burry Port Hooker Iwan Roberts who dived over unopposed for his second of the game.

The final score of the game was a very well worked score, and saw both forwards and backs combine with some beautiful handling and a late switch pass out wide saw Luke Ruddall score in the corner.

Burry Port did exceptionally well to come from behind to get the win as they found themselves under a lot of pressure in the first half. This win sees them push forward in their title defence of the WRU National Bowl, a title the boys are very keen to defend.

Final Score: Burry Port RFC 32 – 10 St Clears RFC

There are no comments yet, add one below.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *